August 4, 2015
Communications and Media Relations Coordinator
Whitney N. Yarber, Communications Specialist
Campus Prepares for Students Moving into Residence Halls
|Scene from a 2014 freshmen move-in day.|
VALDOSTA – Valdosta State University will welcome more than 1,300 members of the class of 2019 to campus as they move into the residence halls Aug. 11 and 12.
“Our highlight of the year is when the students return to campus,” said Dr. Tom Hardy, director of Housing and Residence Life. “The energy is contagious and meeting our new students reminds us why we are in the profession — to assist students in learning outside the classroom, and how that relates to what they learn inside.”
VSU has a number of activities planned to acclimate students to college life and engage them in purposeful extracurricular activities, known as Fall Explosion. Event highlights include The Happening, cookouts, karaoke, free game room hours, trivia night, and more.
An additional 1,300 upperclassmen will move in Aug. 14.
On the Web:
Tuesday, Aug. 11 (Patterson, Reade, and Georgia Halls)
- 8 a.m. to noon – Patterson Hall (all floors)
- 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Reade Hall (all floors)
- 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.– Georgia Hall (fourth, fifth, and sixth floors)
Wednesday, Aug. 12 (Langdale, Lowndes, and Brown Halls)
- 8 a.m. to noon – Langdale Hall (all floors)
- 8 a.m. to noon – Lowndes Hall (all floors)
- 8 a.m. to noon – Brown Hall (all floors)
Friday, Aug. 14 (Georgia, Centennial, Hopper, and Converse Halls)
- 8:30 a.m. to noon – Georgia Hall (first, second, and third floors)
- 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Centennial Hall (all floors)
- 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Hopper Hall (first and fourth floors)
- 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Converse Hall (all floors)
- 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Hopper Hall (second and third floors)
To make move-in days as efficient as possible, students should move their vehicles to the Oak Street parking area once belongings have been unloaded.
During move-in days, all faculty and staff reserved parking spaces (excluding handicap spaces) on main campus, including the Nevins Hall lot and surrounding lots on Georgia Ave., will be designated for student parking from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Faculty and staff are requested to park in the following parking lots: Admissions, Music Annex North (formerly Alumni House), University Center, and the Oak Street parking deck and surface lot.
Shuttle buses will run from the Oak Street lot and other lots off main campus to the shuttle stop on Patterson Street (main entrance to campus). This change will allow ample parking and easy flow of traffic for students moving into the residence halls.Visit the Housing and Residence Life website at https://housing.valdosta.edu for more information on move-in activities.