B.F.A. with a Major in Theatre (Elective Studies in Theatre Management)
- Total Credit Hours: 120
- Degree Format: Traditional
About this field
The B.F.A. with a major in Theatre prepares students for a broad range of opportunities including performance, teaching, arts administration, and many non-arts based careers such as sales, training and development, and management.
The Theatre program at VSU offers numerous productions throughout the year, providing students with significant performance experience. Theatre graduates learn a host of life skills including collaboration, working to deadlines, self-discipline, patience, perseverance, analytical skills, and critical thinking.
Valdosta State University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre.
What You'll Learn
As a major in the Theatre program you will:
- develop critical thinking, problem-solving, planning and organizational skills
- learn teamwork.
- work with deadlines
- develop perseverance, self-discipline, and patience while developing physical stamina and creative abilities
- strengthen and refine their acting, technical, management, and voice skills before entering the professional world.
- develop a broad understanding of music, literature, history, and other arts to help interpret ideas and feelings in acting.
- develop an understanding of music, costuming, and staging.
Students entering the University directly from high school must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work undertaken in order to continue as Theatre and Dance majors. If in any given semester a student's overall GPA falls below 2.0, the student will have one semester (fall or spring) to bring it back up to or above 2.0. If the overall GPA remains below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters, the student will be requested to change majors. Any student who fails to respond to that request will automatically be transferred to an undeclared major status.
Students who enter the University as transfer students who wish to continue a major in Theatre or Dance must have a GPA of at least 2.0 on all course work undertaken. Upon acceptance as a major, a student must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA as described above.
Students changing majors from another program within the University must also have at least a 2.0 overall GPA to transfer to the Theatre or Dance major, and they will be subject to the same maintenance requirements already described.
- 1310 N. Patterson St.Valdosta, GA 31698Corner of Patterson St. &E Brookwood Dr.